Burundi sentences journalist to life on terrorism charges

Reuters Africa

BUJUMBURA (Reuters) – A Burundian court has sentenced a journalist to life imprisonment for “participating in a terrorist attack”, his lawyer said, in a growing clampdown on media in the east African nation.

Hassan Ruvakuki was arrested in November, accused of involvement in a deadly gun attack by militants on the eastern town of Cankuzo that was launched from neighbouring Tanzania.

The prosecution alleged he was complicit in the attack because he had travelled to Tanzania earlier that month and interviewed the rebel group’s proclaimed leader, a former Burundian police officer.

“This is a shocking and shameful verdict. He did his job of investigation to inform Burundi’s public on what was going on in the country,” said lawyer Onesime Kabayabaya in reaction to the sentence handed down late on Wednesday.

He said Ruvakuki would appeal the conviction.

Thirteen alleged rebel fighters were also sentenced to life in prison by the Burundi court for their role in the attack.

Journalists in Burundi have been targeted in a wave of detentions in the past two years. Human Rights Watch said last month the government tried to restrict independent media and civil society efforts to denounce ongoing violence in Burundi.  Read more…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s