Mail and Guardian
Sports and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula says he knows who is responsible for “peddling lies” about him and Julius Malema’s London trip.
“I know where this story is coming from,” Mbalula told reporters in Johannesburg on Friday.
“In time that story will be told … but this is not the time. I will deal with it at an appropriate time.”
Earlier this week, reports surfaced that the government was paying for Malema’s stay in a five-star London hotel through his association with Mbalula.
Mbalula denied the report.
People were trying to attack him and his integrity, he said.
“I took an oath [as minister] … I’m not corrupt. Unlike Jackie Selebi, these hands are clean,” he said. “I did not pay for Julius.”
He challenged anyone who thought they had proof to ask the “very enthusiastic” public protector to investigate.
Mbalula said he was in London on an official visit as the minister of sport and to lead Team South Africa at the Olympics.
“It was no secret what we were doing in London. I did everything in London that I was supposed to do,” he said.
“We don’t need government money to fulfil our personal dreams. People want to rubbish our names.”
Mbalula said he could not understand why he needed to answer questions about other people’s visits to the British capital. Read more…