Tag Archives: ANC Youth League

South Africa – ANC Youth league won’t reveal shock candidate to succeed Zuma

City Press

2017-01-26 06:03

The ANC Youth League will not be strong-armed into divulging the name of the “shock candidate” who they want to take over from President Jacob Zuma.

ANCYL secretary-general Njabulo Nzuza told the media at a press conference held in Pretoria yesterday that they would not be pressured into pronouncing on the succession debate ahead of the party’s 54th national conference in December this year.

“The names of preferred leaders for the ANC will only be made public at the party’s policy conference in June.

“We will not be pressured to release the names of candidates in a hurry because this is a long and strategic process, therefore the ANC Youth League believes that in such a critical year, which we have termed the 1948 moment of our generation, the ANC is prioritising principles of leadership over names of leaders,” Nzuza said.

Nzuza said the league would support leaders who would mainly prioritise the programme of radical economic transformation.

League president Collins Maine supported Nzuza’s statement.

“We will not be pressured to release the names of comrades who are likely to take over from the current president,” he said.

Asked where this pressure is coming from, Maine told reporters it was coming from the media.

“By constantly asking us to pronounce on the names of candidates, you are simply putting pressure on us,” he concluded.

Nzuza added that the league would support leaders who will advance land restitution and have a strong appetite to collapse white monopoly capital.

The young lions also accused Absa of criminality in the financial sector.

“It is evident that there has been criminality involving Bankorp, Absa and the Reserve Bank therefore this criminality must never go unpunished because it is what feeds white monopoly capital,” Nzuza said.

Nzuza made these remarks following the release of a draft report, which was published by the Mail & Guardian recently, in which which Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane recommends that Absa pay back R2.25 billion to the Reserve Bank.

The report said it was because of an illegal and improper loan, donation or so-called lifeboat made to a now-defunct Bankorp, which Absa acquired in the early 1990s.

Economic issues were not the only highlights of the briefing. The issue of dehumanising homosexuals in the country was also brought to attention.

Nzuza shared a message of support to all those who are discriminated against.

This came after a visit to Ghanian Bishop Dag Heward-Mills, who believed that homosexuality was unnatural.

He said: “That’s nature. Dogs, cats, leopards. Which animal has one partner? It’s just like homosexuality, you don’t have male and male. You don’t find two male dogs, two male lions, two male impalas, two male lizards. You don’t find that in nature. That is unnatural. There is nothing like that in nature.”

Nzuza called on all South Africans to protect lesbians and gays.

“These are fellow human beings who must be treated with respect and dignity like all human beings and no one has the moral right to speak ill, about them, as it dehumanises them.”

“Let us all remember that only God has the right to judge,” Nzuza said.

South Africa – ANCYL wants government to stop using ABSA

News24

2017-01-18 18:00

Absa. (Duncan Alfreds, Fin24)

Absa. (Duncan Alfreds, Fin24)

 

Cape Town – The ANC Youth League will intensify calls for the government to stop banking with Absa bank, it said on Wednesday.

“We will continue to take strong political action and radical campaigns to have the government withdraw its accounts from Absa, just as we pursue them to repay the money that they are holding onto,” league spokesperson Mlondi Mkhize said in a statement.

It was reacting to the contents of a leaked draft document from the Public Protector’s office last week.

In 2012, then Public Protector Thuli Madonsela began investigating the government’s alleged failure to recover billions of rands the apartheid-era administration had borrowed to Bankorp. Absa acquired Bankorp in 1992.

Madonsela’s successor Busisiwe Mkhwebane took over the report. A draft version was leaked last week. It contained a recommendation that Absa repay R2.25bn to the fiscus. The bank said on Friday that this was regrettable.

READ: Public Protector lays criminal charges over leaked Absa report

Madonsela’s report followed an investigation by former British spy Michael Oatley in 1997. He probed claims that the Bankorp group of banks was offered a R1.5bn State bailout before the dawn of democracy. His findings became known as the Ciex report.

The ANCYL said it noted the seriousness of the revelations about alleged criminal conduct at financial institutions, including the role of ratings agency Moody’s, in causing the 2008 financial crisis.

“South Africans must no longer trust these institutions in determining the state of our economy and the political choices that we should make,” Mkhize said.

Their “immorality” should be rejected, he said. The money pumped into Absa during the dying days of apartheid was an example of the “systemic looting of public resources by white private capital”.

“The ANC Youth League calls for the release of the report that we believe was intentionally hidden. Government must speedily start a process to recoup all amounts of money that will emerge in that trail.”

The league said banks’ “racialised extortion” of the public needed further debating. Access to loans, housing bonds and car finance was based on a credit risk assessment model that ensured black youth paid the highest interest rates, Mkhize said.

South Africa – ANC distances itself from Youth League leader on war with EFF

Mail and Guardian

The ANC has distanced itself from comments made by ANC Youth League president Collen Maine who allegedly called for war with the EFF.

ANC Youth League president Collen Maine allegedly called for war with the EFF this week.

The African National Congress (ANC) on Thursday said it was distancing itself from the utterances of Youth League president Collen Maine who allegedly called for a war with the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).

“The ANC calls upon all its members and supporters to refrain using language that is inflammatory and that could undermine our nation’s efforts of promoting and preserving political tolerance,” said ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa.

According to Kodwa, Maine said that the “EFF must be given war”. This is not the first time Maine has been accused of warmongering. His previous declaration of war had also followed statements by the EFF – who had themselves have been accused of war talk with incitements such as toppling the ANC government through the barrel of the gun and encouraging protesters to burn down ANC offices rather than schools.

“War-mongering talk is an antithesis to the type of society we envisage to build – regardless of who it comes from,” said Kodwa.

Kodwa added that the ANC, as well as all members of Parliament, carried the responsibility of restoring dignity and decorum to the House. This, he said, would include ensuring the environment was “characterised by political tolerance”. – African News Agency (ANA)

South Africa – does ANC’s Motlanthe still believe in tripartite alliance

Mail and Guardian

Cosatu insists it had a constructive meeting with the former president following his scathing comments about the expulsion of Vavi and Numsa.

Kgalema Motlanthe. (Oupa Nkosi, MG)

Has Cosatu convinced former president Kgalema Motlanthe that the tripartite alliance is not dead?

That remains unknown but the trade union federation said it had a “cordial and constructive meeting” with Motlanthe – a former trade union leader – after he said in an interview that Cosatu and the SACP had lost their way.

In a wide-ranging interview with Business Day, Motlanthe was scathing in his criticism of Cosatu which expelled its general secretary, Zwelinzima Vavi, and metal workers union Numsa this year.

“You have a situation when the office bearers actively go and divide the unions. I can’t think of anyone who claims to be a trade unionist who can, with clear conscience, expel 350 000 workers. It is unheard of,” he said in the interview.

Cosatu spokesperson Sizwe Pamla said in a press statement that Cosatu’s national office bearers met with Motlanthe following his controversial remarks.

“It was a cordial and constructive meeting, where all the parties agreed to respect the decisions taken by the constitutional structures of the respective alliance formations and to always raise any matters openly with those involved,” Pamla said in the statement.

Initially, Pamla issued a statement saying Cosatu found Motlanthe’s comments regrettable, adding that he has “ignored all the facts and opted for an easy option by sounding the death knell for the alliance”.

The former general secretary of NUM was firm in his view that Cosatu was no longer a strong independent organisation.

““My reading is that there is no alliance, there is one organisation existing inside the integuments of erstwhile independent organisations, but today to talk about Cosatu as an independent organisation from the ANC or the SACP I think is a delusion,” Motlanthe was quoted as saying.

Now Cosatu says it respects Motlanthe and would continue to value his opinions.

In the wide-ranging interview Motlanthe also dished out criticism for the ANC.

“The point I am making is that the policies are in place, the Constitution is in place, but if those in power can pick and choose when to adhere, when not to adhere then we have a very difficult situation,” he said.

The ANC remained curt in their response.

“The African National Congress wants to affirm comrade Kgalema Motlanthe as a leader and a voice reason who has always been on the forefront of raising pertinent and thought-provoking questions within the structures of the ANC,” spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.

However, the ANC Youth League in KwaZulu-Natal – who are known for their razor sharp tongues – lashed out against Motlanthe.

ANCYL provincial secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo said “Motlanthe was not the alpha and the omega of the ANC”.


South Africa – ANCYL and the line between militancy and anarchy

Mail and Guardian

04 NOV 2015 14:38 REBONE TAU

  
ANC youth need to know that insulting elders doesn’t make us militant, we won’t sit down for those showing signs of anarchy, writes Rebone Tau.

 We should be rallying all young people behind the banner of the ANC, says Rebone Tau. (Oupa Nkosi, M&G)

It was quite shocking to read an article by Amanda Khoza on the press conference the ANC Youth League in KwaZulu-Natal held on Tuesday. It really left a bitter taste. It was reported that youth league provincial secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo said: “He must not now pose himself as the alpha and the omega of the ANC. He is a member like any other member and must abide by the Constitution of the ANC. We are willing to lay down our lives to defend the ANC and its leadership … even if it means taking comrade Kgalema [Motlanthe] to task, we will do that.”
The youth league comes from an era of insults towards leadership and one would think that in the process of rebuilding the league, we would make sure we raise issues but not insult our leaders as we continue to get wisdom from them, as they know better than us and have led before us. What youth league comrades need to understand is that insults towards our elders do not make us militant as there is a thin line between anarchy and militancy. We can’t have youth league leaders who wake up just to call press conferences to insult elders within our glorious movement, and who expect us to sit there and clap hands.
The youth unemployment rate is so high in the country and as we go to local elections, we should be rallying all young people behind the banner of the ANC. We should be preoccupied with championing the interests of young people and not with insults that will not advance the National Democratic Revolution (NDR). A few weeks back, students from different universities stood up and defined their mission as this generation as making sure we advance the NDR. We need a youth league that is on the ground, playing its role in society and not calling press conferences to insult leaders who are a voice of reason in the movement. 
Public spats with leaders won’t make us good leaders. The ANC issued a statement, which should have been a guide for all of us as members of the ANC, on the remarks made by former deputy president Motlanthe. One would not expect the youth league to come out in public against the ANC statement on the matter, as the ANC had spoken. The ANC is the oldest liberation movement on the continent and we must never, as members, define ourselves outside the movement and want to be populists. Being young leaders does not mean we must be reckless and bully our elders by saying we are defending the movement. 
We will not sit down and clap hands for those who are showing signs of anarchy in our name as members of the youth league. We must make sure that the rebuilding process continues under the current leadership and that we kill insults and allow constructive criticism that will assist us to reflect on where we are as a movement and what it is that we are doing that is wrong, so we are able to fix our mistakes and make sure we don’t repeat them in future. 
Our focus should be the upcoming local elections and making sure the ANC gets overwhelming support from the youth of our country, as they need to go out in numbers and register to vote for the ANC because it’s the only party that is advancing the NDR. We must make sure that the youth unemployment rate goes down. We, as this generation, must work towards advancing the National Development Plan Vision 2030 and the African Union’s Agenda 2063. We must define our mission and make sure we don’t betray the youth of this country. We must promote patriotism among the youth so that they represent the country well in all spheres of life. We need to produce knowledge and young visionaries who will work towards building the country while appreciating wisdom from our elders.
Aluta Continua!
Rebone Tau is a former national task team member for the ANC Youth League and writes in her personal capacity.

South Africa – ANCYL’s Maine refuses to step down from mpaid MEC position

Mail and Guardian

Contrary to past statements, the new ANCYL leader will not be resigning from his MEC position and, therefore, will not relinquish his R1.6m salary.

The new ANC Youth president, Collen Maine, will not operate on a strictly full-time basis. (Delwyn Verasamy, MG)

Newly elected ANC Youth League President Collen Maine is not prepared to give up the perks of being an MEC even after being elected to lead the youth structure.

The youth league has confirmed that Maine will not give up his R1.6-million salary as he would not resign as MEC for local government in the North West

A day after he was elected in September, Maine told a press conference that he would step down from his position.

“I understand that the president of the youth league is a full-time position so the youth league and the ANC will engage on that particular matter,” Maine said at the time.

Not full back
However, ANCYL secretary Njabulo Nzuza said the league’s national executive committee decided that the role of the president would not be a full-time one.

Traditionally, youth league presidents were full time at the ANC’s headquarters, Luthuli House.

“We have taken a decision that the constitution of the ANC Youth League says the secretary-general is full-time in the organisation. The NEC must decide which other positions are full time. And in an NEC meeting that we held we resolved that the president will not be full time,” Nzuza said.

This is despite a resolution of the conference that the top five leaders of the league would work full time at ANC headquarters.

Nzuza said Maine would continue being the MEC or act in any role deployed by the ANC.

“The only full-time positions is the treasurer general and the secretary general as prescribed by the constitution,” Nzuza said.

He said Maine would still be committed to the mandate he received of leading the youth.

Dual responsibility
“He is going to be here (at the youth league headquarters) and servicing his people there ( in the North West),” Nzuza said.

After being elected, Maine said he was not concerned over salary cuts if it meant serving his organisation.

He was unavailable on Tuesday for comment.

“Whether there is a salary cut or not we have a responsibility given by congress,” he said at the time, adding;“As it relates to packages when we get elected, the oath you take as members of the youth league is that you don’t expect any material benefit,” he said.

According to the 2014 figures, Maine earned approximately R1.6-million per annum.

At the same time, he enjoys the luxury of a plush German sedan and a state house, among other benefits.


South Africa – Maine elected ANC Youth League president

Mail and Guasrdian

The North West health MEC was nominated unopposed on Friday night for the vacant ANC Youth League presidency.

New ANCYL president Collen Maine. (Madelene Cronje, MG)

Collen Maine has been elected uncontested as the new ANC Youth League president during the league’s national conference in Midrand on Friday night – two years after Julius Malema was expelled from the ANC.

Maine, who is an MEC for health in North West is said to enjoy the support of senior ANC leaders popularly known as the “Premier League”. They include North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo, Mpumalanga Premier David Mabuza and Free State Premier Ace Magashule.

Other top five leaders elected uncontested alongside Maine are Desmond Moela (deputy president), Njabulo Nzuza (Secretary general), Thandi Moraka (deputy Secretary General) and Reggie Nkaninde (treasurer general). Like the ANC Women’s League, which also enjoyed the Premier League’s support, the new youth league leadership is expected to push for a woman candidate to be elected as ANC president when the party holds its election in 2017.

The names of the women candidates for the ANC president position includes African Union Commission chairperson Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete.

ANC Gauteng chairperson Paul Mashatile has publicly declared his support for Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa as president Jacob Zuma’s successor.