Tag Archives: kenya violence

Kenya – eight security personnel killed by roadside bombs

Reuters

A Kenyan security person walk past a police vehicle damaged by a blast killing Kenyan police officers at the Garissa county, eastern Kenya, May 24, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

NAIROBI, Kenya Eight Kenyan security officers were killed in two separate roadside bombings in eastern Kenya on Wednesday, senior officials said, underscoring the threat from Somali Islamist militants.

The biggest attack was on a governor’s convoy in Mandera, in the extreme northeast of the country near the border with Somalia. The area is a frequent target of the Somali jihadist group al Shabaab.

“Unfortunately I lost five of my security officers including my personal bodyguard in an attack on my convoy,” Mandera Governor Ali Robathe said in a Facebook post.

The Red Cross said on Twitter that the vehicle had hit a suspected landmine.

Al Shabaab has not yet commented on the incident, but it did claim an earlier attack in Liboi, further to the south but also in the extreme east along the border with Somalia.

The Liboi attack killed three policemen when their truck hit an improvised explosive device (IED), North Eastern regional commissioner Mohamud Ali Saleh said.

“The police car ran over an IED and we have casualties. All the dead officers are from one work station,” Saleh told Reuters, without revealing the number of wounded officers.

“From past incidences, it is easy to see that even this one is the work of our enemy, the al Shabaab. They plant these IEDs to target our security people.”

The Kenyan Red Cross said on Twitter eight officers had been wounded.

“We are behind the attack in Liboi area. We destroyed the police car. Some died and others were injured,” Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab’s military operation spokesman told Reuters.

Garissa county, where the incident happened, has suffered several al Shabaab attacks in recent years, including a 2015 assault on a university which killed 148 people.

Al Shabaab, which seeks to topple Somalia’s government and impose its own harsh interpretation of Sharia law, says it will continue to attack Kenya until Nairobi withdraws its troops from an African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia.

The police said on Tuesday they were on alert for an increase in violence after al Shabaab fighters were detected moving into Kenya in small groups.

“These groups are dispatching operatives into parts of North Eastern Region to lay IEDs along the routes used by our security patrols in efforts to frustrate our security operations at the border areas,” the police said in a statement.

(Reporting by Joseph Akwiri in Mombasa, Humphrey Malalo in Nairobi and Feisal Omar in Mogadishu; Editing by Katharine Houreld)

Kenya – three soldiers killed by landmine believed to have been laid by Al Shabaab

Reuters

MOMBASA, Kenya Three police officers were killed in eastern Kenya on Wednesday when their vehicle hit a landmine believed to have been laid by Somali jihadist group al Shabaab, a senior official said.

The officers were part of a three-vehicle early morning patrol in the Somali border region when their truck hit the improvised explosive device (IED), North Eastern regional commissioner Mohamud Ali Saleh said.

“The police car ran over an IED and we have casualties. All the dead officers are from one work station,” Saleh told Reuters, without revealing the number of wounded officers.

“From past incidences, it is easy to see that even this one is the work of our enemy, the al Shabaab. They plant these IEDs to target our security people.”

The Kenyan Red Cross said on Twitter eight officers had been wounded.

The Garissa county in which the incident happened has suffered several attacks linked to al Shabaab in the last few years, including a 2015 assault on a university in which 148 people were killed.

Al Shabaab, which seeks to topple Somalia’s government and impose its own harsh interpretation of Sharia law, says it will continue to attack Kenya until Nairobi withdraws its troops from an African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia.

The police said on Tuesday they were on alert for an increase in violence after al Shabaab fighters were detected moving into Kenya in small groups.

“These groups are dispatching operatives into parts of North Eastern Region to lay IEDs along the routes used by our security patrols in efforts to frustrate our security operations at the border areas,” it said.

(Reporting by Joseph Akwiri; Additional reporting by Humphrey Malalo in Nairobi; Editing by George Obulutsa and Ed Cropley)

Kenya – police fire tear gas to stop Kisumu primary vote demo

Reuters

KISUMU, Kenya Kenyan police fired teargas on Tuesday to disperse hundreds of people who took to the streets to protest the outcome of a regional party primary in the west of the country.

This month’s primaries, where voters choose party candidates, have been a chaotic affair, marked by violent clashes, cancellation of results and claims of rigging.

The problems have raised fears over the planning for a national vote on Aug. 8 and whether there may be further violence in Kenya, a key Western ally in a volatile region and East Africa’s largest economy.

Voters will pick a president, parliament and local authorities, a decade after 1,200 people were killed in ethnic violence following a disputed presidential election.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), which will conduct the election, said it would punish those behind the rising cases of violence in the primaries.

Tuesday’s protesters were angered by the results of a primary that re-elected the incumbent governor of the Homa Bay county, Cyprian Awiti, to run for the opposition Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) in August.

At least one person was injured in the fracas, said Willy Lugusa, the police commander for the region, adding police dispersed the protesters to prevent damage to private property.

“We are not using live bullets, we are only using teargas when people are demonstrating in a manner that is likely to cause the breach of the peace,” he told Reuters.

Neither Awiti nor ODM, which is led by the main opposition leader Raila Odinga, were available immediately for comment.

HARD-FOUGHT CONTESTS

The IEBC said all parties and their aspirants were bound to act peacefully during the primaries in line with the electoral code of conduct.

“We will impose sanctions against candidates and political parties who contravene the code,” the commission said in a statement, pledging to do all it can to ensure a free and fair election in August.

Contests to lead the country’s 47 local authorities, known as counties, are hard-fought affairs. The winners will control annual budgets of billions of shillings.

ODM postponed its primaries in the capital Nairobi on Tuesday after youths stormed a store where ballot papers were held, claiming they wanted to prevent rigging, a party spokesman said.

The ruling Jubilee party annulled the results of its primary elections in several counties on Friday after widespread protests over shortages of voting materials. The party started repeating them on Monday.

President Uhuru Kenyatta is running for a second and final five-year term for Jubilee. The main opposition coalition, bringing together Odinga and four others leaders, was expected to name its candidate later this week.

Macharia Munene, a professor of international relations at USIU-Africa university in Nairobi, said the violence in primaries was being sponsored by corrupt politicians.

“There is a linkage between corruption and violence,” he said. “Refusing to accept honest results – that’s corruption.”

(Additional reporting by Humphrey Malalo and George Obulutsa in Nairobi; writing by Duncan Miriri; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

Kenya – police says elections will be peaceful in violence-prone counties

Daily Nation

Saturday March 18 2017
Many have died from banditry this year in Baringo County

Police officers escort women and children out of Mukutani centre in Baringo County on March 15, 2017, to a safer area. Many have died from banditry this year. PHOTO | CHEBOITE KIGEN | NATION MEDIA GROUP  

By JOSEPH OPENDA
More by this Author

Rift Valley will have peaceful elections despite the current insecurity challenges in some regions, the government has assured.

Regional Coordinator Wanyama Musiambo said security departments have intensified operations to ensure peace prevails before elections.

“Security agencies are ready for the elections. We are working hard to ensure that a repeat of 2007/08 post-election violence does not occur,” Mr Musiambo said on Friday.

He was reacting to the recent banditry attacks in Baringo, adding the police are making a positive progress in curbing insecurity incidences.

According to him, the re-opening of three schools that had been closed due to insecurity was a positive sign.

Parts of Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet, Pokot and Laikipia counties have been worst hit by insecurity leaving dozens of people dead and scores injured since January.

The most recent attacks happened on Wednesday where 11 people were killed by suspected Pokot bandits who raided Mukutani village in Tiaty.

Most affected were women and children, some who are fighting for their lives in hospitals.

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday ordered the deployment of military forces to the troubled North Rift region to help police restore law and order.

 

Kenya – nine killed in further violence in Baringo district

Daily Nation

Wednesday March 15 2017

This boy, with a bullet in his chest, survived

This boy, with a bullet in his chest, survived the Tuesday night attack that left nine dead in Mukutani . In this photo, taken on March 15, doctors are giving him First Aid at Marigat Hospital. PHOTO | CHEBOITE KIGEN | NATION MEDIA GROUP.  

Advertisement By FLORAH KOECH More by this Author

Nine people are dead and scores injured after a night of horror in Mukutani Village of Tiaty Sub-County in Baringo.

Suspected Pokot bandits imposed a reign of terror on the hamlet on Tuesday night to avenge the killing of two Pokot women who were shot dead in a police vehicle on Tuesday morning.

DEEP CUT

The bandits attacked the village, slashing and shooting people, including children, according to those who survived the attack.

Among the survivors is a little boy, who is fighting for his life at Marigat District Hospital with a bullet lodged in his chest.

The boy suffered a deep cut on the head and bled profusely.

Other villagers who escaped death narrowly were also rushed to the hospital on Wednesday morning.

BANDITS

Medical workers including doctors, who resumed work today after a 100-day strike, were busy attending to the boy when the Nation visited the hospital.

The bandits targeted a primary school in the area and Mukutani market centre.

The two Pokot women were killed not far from the centre by suspected Ilchamus bandits who ambushed a police vehicle early Tuesday.

They had been offered a lift on their way to Kabarnet to collect cash for orphans.

19 AREAS

Mukutani is among the 19 areas gazette as disturbed and dangerous by Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery and is covered by the ongoing security operation launched by Deputy President William Ruto three weeks ago.

It is not clear why the hundreds of officers deployed to the county did not repel the bandits.

Top security officers said they would give a briefing on the matter later on Wednesday.

Kenya – Baringo insecurity makes teachers ask for a transfer

Star (Kenya)

Mar. 03, 2017, 9:00 am

More than 300 teachers hold protests in Marigat, Baringo county in a demand for transfers amid increasing bandit attacks, February 23, 2017. /JOSEPH KANGOGO
More than 300 teachers hold protests in Marigat, Baringo county in a demand for transfers amid increasing bandit attacks, February 23, 2017. /JOSEPH KANGOGO

About 266 teachers who have fled clashes in Baringo county are demanding to be transferred.

They were serving in the 47 schools in volatile Baringo North, South and Tiaty subcounties before they were closed last week.

Knut county executive secretary Joshua Cheptarus asked TSC to heed to the teachers’ plight as they desperately seek transfer letters.

Cheptarus said they have been traumatised by the “bloody happenings” and require counseling.

“We have scheduled a meeting for next Monday at a Kabarnet town hotel to encourage and counsel them in order to diminish their fear,” he said on Thursday.

Read: Moi hits out at state over late response to Baringo bandit attacks

Two teachers were among tens of people killed in attacks by armed Pokot bandits.

Cheptarus said that last Sunday, armed bandits attacked Chemorongion village in Baringo South at 4pm and killed a primary school teacher as his pupils watched.

Three days later, he said, another primary school teacher was killed at Chepkesin in Baringo North subcounty.

He said TSC should also plan on how to replace the teachers since they are not ready to serve in other hostile areas.

“I would rather quit my job permanently than be reprimanded [for failing] to go back and teach in the same school,” he said.

Among the closed schools were Ngaratuko, Chemoe, Yatya, Tuluk, Kagir, Loruk, Chepkesin, Kapturo, Toboroi, Barsuswo and Lokorotabim in Baringo North.

In Baringo South, Ramacha, Karma, Katilimwo, Kapndsum, Chemorongion, Embosos, and Arabal schools have been closed.

Others are Chebinyiny, Sosionte, Nyimbei, Kasiela, Keon, Tuiyotich, Lamaiwe, Karne and Kabel, Rugus, Noosukro and Siarata.

The schools have become IDP camps for thousands of residents fleeing attacks.

In the most heinous incident, bandits killed a mother and her three-day-old infant at Natan village, Baringo North late last month.

During DP William Ruto’s visit to the region, bandits killed the Bartabwa chief during a shootout with security officials.

Ruto issued a shoot-to-kill order and deployed more than 200 reservists in the operation to flush out the bandits.

Read: Ruto under fire for shoot-to-kill order in tackling Baringo bandits

Also read: Stop using kids in bandit attacks, Ruto tells disgraceful leaders

The government has commenced operations to flush out the bandits and restore calm.

The government gazetted Baringo North and South as “disturbed areas’ but this did not stop the bandits from driving away more than 300 animals in a fresh attack on Wednesday.

Kenya – lawyer who said Mark Too’s death was political killing disappears

Star (Kenya)

Jan. 11, 2017, 9:00 am

A file photo of lawyer Simon Lilan speaking to journalists in Eldoret. /MATHEWS NDANYI
A file photo of lawyer Simon Lilan speaking to journalists in Eldoret. /MATHEWS NDANYI

Lawyer Simon Lilan, who made sensational death claims after the death of former Nominated MP Mark Too, has been missing for three days.

His brother John Tallam and wife Irene said Lilan was last seen in Eldoret town at about 11am on Monday, after which his phones went off.

Lilan had claimed his life was in danger and that unknown people had issued threats by phone, asking him to stop pushing for independent investigations into Too’s death.

Tallam said his brother was to go for a meeting in Ziwa the day he went missing. Too was buried that day after a court lifted an order blocking the ceremony.

“We have looked for him all over including at the homes of his relatives but he cannot be traced,” said Tallam.

He said the family reported the matter to police.

The lawyer, who declared interest in the Uasin Gishu senate seat on a Wiper party ticket, claimed Too was killed for political reasons and his wealth.

He also alleged a plot for the late former MP’s first wife, Mary, to be killed. He had wanted Too buried at Mary’s home.

But an autopsy by chief government pathologist Johansen Oduor found Too died from a heart problem.

More on this: Mark Too had heart problem, autopsy shows

Lilan obtained an order for an independent probe into Too’s death. He has threatened to push for his body to be exhumed for the probe to begin.