Tag Archives: Nigeria JTF

Nigeria – suicide bombers kill four in Maiduguri

Reuters

By Ahmed Kingimi | MAIDUGURI, Nigeria

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria Three suicide bombers killed four people and injured eight others in a village near the northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, a police spokesman said on Sunday.

A man and two women blew themselves up when they were challenged by a member of the Civilian JTF, a government-approved militia group, just outside Maiduguri, the city worst hit by jihadist group Boko Haram’s eight-year insurgency.

The blasts, in the village of Umariri around 7 kilometres (4 miles) from the city, occurred on Saturday around 9 p.m. (2000 GMT), said Maiduguri police spokesman Victor Isuku.

“Four people which include a Civilian JTF [member], a woman and her two children died while eight others sustained injuries,” he said.

It is the latest in a string of attacks in the last few days to bear the hallmarks of Boko Haram, which has killed around 15,000 people and forced more than 2 million people to flee their homes in Africa’s most populous nation since 2009.

A man claiming to be the group’s leader appeared in a video circulated on Friday in which he claimed responsibility for bombings in Maiduguri and a raid on the nearby town of Magumeri last week. He also denied that 5,000 hostages held by the group had been freed.

Boko Haram, whose attacks have increased since the end of the rainy season in late 2016, wants to create a state adhering to a strict interpretation of Islamic laws in northeast Nigeria. It also carries out cross-border attacks in neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

(Writing by Alexis Akwagyiram; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle/Keith Weir)

 

Nigeria – gunmen attack bank in Kaduna State

Leadership/allAfrica

Residents of Saminaka in Lere local government area of Kaduna State were Thursday night thrown into disarray following the invasion of the community by unknown gunmen, killing three policemen in a crossfire.

LEADERSHIP Weekend gathered that the gunmen had after shooting sporadically to scare residents, went on to rob three commercial banks and took away millions of naira.

LEADERSHIP weekend recalled that this is the second time commercial institutions and a Police divisional headquarters will come under attack in the area.

The Commissioner of Police, Olufemi Adenaike, who confirmed the attack to LEADERSHIP Weekend said three of his men were killed by the assailant in the incident.

He said the police also killed one of the gunmen while others escape with bullets wound and assured that the Police will do all within their powers to apprehend the criminals.

But Adenaike, who admitted that the gunmen storm the community with heavy weapons and Improvised Explosives Devices (IEDs), insisted that no money was taken from the three banks by the assailants as a result of strong resistance from his men.

But a resident of the area said the gunmen penetrated the banks and carted away money and other valuable goods.

LEADERSHIP Weekend gathered that the assailants also attacked some homes in the area and made away with their valuables.

Another source said: “The assailants who we suspected to be terrorists gang had upon arrival, open fire on the town, and used same weapon to rob the First Bank branch in Saminaka.”

Meanwhile, a detachment of policemen and soldiers have been deployed to the area to restore normalcy.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201309280111.html?aa_source=mf-hdlns

Nigerian – video purports to show Boko Haram leader the government says is dead

BBC

Abubakar Shekau: Boko Haram chief ‘shown alive’ in video

A grab taken from a video on 13 July 2013 shows the leader of the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau dressed in camouflage and holding a Kalashnikov AK-47 rifle Shekau in a previous video, released in July

 

A video has been released in Nigeria purportedly showing the leader of the Islamist militant group Boko Haram alive.

In August, the Nigerian military said it might have killed Abubakar Shekau during a shoot-out.

In the video a man believed to be Mr Shekau said the world “should know that he could not die except by the will of Allah”.

Other previous reports of his death later proved to be unfounded.

Boko Haram, which is fighting to create an Islamic state across Nigeria, has been blamed for many violent attacks which have killed nearly 2,000 people since 2011.

In the video, the man alleged to be Mr Shekau sits in a jungle environment surrounded by dozens of lieutenants dressed in fatigues.

He makes reference to recent events, such as an attack in Benisheik, Borno state, on 17 September in which at least 142 people are reported to have been killed.

BBC Hausa’s Aliyu Tanko says the man’s voice sounds like that of Shekau, and the video emerged from a source previously used by the Boko Haram leader.

Scepticism

On 19 August, the Nigerian military said intelligence suggested it might have killed Mr Shekau between 25 July and 3 August.

It claimed a video apparently showing Mr Shekau and circulated to journalists on 12 August was acted by an impostor.

But hundreds of people wrote in to the BBC’s Hausa social media pages to express their scepticism at the announcement, which coincided with the Nigerian authorities’ launch of a new brigade with special responsibility to tackle Boko Haram.  bbc

There was no independent confirmation of the army’s claims.  bbc

Nigeria – 24 vigilantes killed and 34 missing in Boko Haram attacks

BBC
1 September 2013 Last updated at 02:02 Share this pageEmailPrint
ShareFacebookTwitter
Boko Haram ‘kills 24 Nigerian vigilantes in ambush’

The army has encouraged vigilante groups to help fight Boko Haram
Continue reading the main story
Nigeria under attack

Dead or alive
Vigilante war
Gunning for Boko Haram
‘Cut off’ under emergency rule
Suspected Boko Haram fighters have killed at least 24 members of a vigilante group in north-eastern Nigeria, security officials say.

They say another 34 people are missing after the attack near the town of Monguno in Borno state.

The officials said militants wearing army uniforms ambushed more than 100 vigilantes on Friday.

Attacks have increased recently despite a massive military deployment to areas worst affected by Islamist militants.

Nigeria’s army recently said it had killed Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau but this has not been confirmed.

The military has encouraged the formation of vigilante groups to help tackle the Islamists.

Revenge attacks
The militants attacked the vigilante youths on the outskirts of Monguno, about 160km (100 miles) north-east of the state capital Maiduguri, where Boko Haram was formed in 2009.

The vigilante youths had been on a mission to capture Boko Haram militants in their camps when they were ambushed, the Sunday Tribune reports.

The vigilantes had originally arranged to go with the army but after some hours of waiting for the soldiers to arrive they moved in by themselves.

They were ambushed by militants who “had disguised in military uniforms with three captured patrol vehicles of the security agencies”, sources told the paper.

There are fears that the death toll could rise further.

Boko Haram has waged a deadly insurgency in Nigeria since 2009, which has left several thousand dead.

In May, President Goodluck Jonathan declared an emergency in three north-eastern states, including Borno, saying the group threatened Nigeria’s existence.

An offensive was launched against the group – which says it is fighting for the creation of an Islamic state in Nigeria – and the military encouraged the formation of vigilante groups to help.

But now it appears Boko Haram is taking revenge against such groups, say observers – adding weight to fears that the vigilante groups may trigger an escalation of the violence.

Last week, at least 20 vigilantes were killed in two separate attacks in Borno.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23918155

20130901-083720.jpg

Nigeria- president says Boko Haram is being progressively weakened

I suppose if Jonathan says this often enough he’ll believe it himself. I can’t imagine too many Nigerians have much faith in his claims. KS

Daily Trust
President Goodluck Jonathan has said that with the security measures put in place by his administration, the Boko Haram sect is being progressively weakened.

Speaking at the Presidential Villa in Abuja yesterday while receiving the outgoing representative of the delegation of the European Union to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Mr. David Mac Rae, Jonathan said his administration would remain proactive in combating terrorism.

According to the president, although measures taken by his administration have significantly reduced the occurrence of terrorist attacks in the country, the government will continue doing everything possible to further enhance security in all parts of the country.

“As a government, we are doing everything possible to improve our country on all fronts. We are consistently adapting our security architecture to deal with terrorism which has become a challenge to the whole world. Boko Haram is being progressively weakened but we are not resting on our oars. We will continue to do everything possible to achieve greater security for all who reside within our borders,” the president said.

Jonathan, who maintained that many positive things were happening in the country, added that his administration would continue to do its best to correct negative perceptions about the nation, such as the notion of widespread insecurity and corruption.

He welcomed the declaration by the outgoing ambassador that he had recently travelled to the Niger Delta and some northern states and found people there going about their normal lives and businesses without fear.
http://dailytrust.info/

Nigerian Islamists kill 14 vigilantes in Borno State

Reuters

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) – Nigerian Islamists killed 14 pro-government youth vigilantes in an attack on the northeastern town of Bama, a local official who attended a mass funeral for the victims said on Monday.

Sunday’s attack was one of a spate of deadly assaults by the Boko Haram Islamist sect this month that raises doubts about whether a military offensive against it since May can succeed.

Local vigilante groups run by youth volunteers have been instrumental in helping the military capture Boko Haram members, but they have also made them a target for the insurgents, drawing civilians further into the conflict.

Alhaji Baba Shehu Gulumba, chairman of Bama local council, told journalists in the nearest main city of Maiduguri that insurgents disguised as soldiers lured the youths into a trap. Nine others were wounded.

“They were on guard duty when the sect members dressed in military camouflage came and told them that they were needed at a meeting nearby,” he said. “When they had been lured away from their duty posts they were then attacked and killed.”

Bama is in Borno state, the centre of the insurgency. The town is not far from a mountainous area along the Cameroon border where many Boko Haram fighters are believed to be holding out, after being cleared from other areas by Nigerian forces.

Their four-year battle to revive an ancient Islamic caliphate in religiously mixed Nigeria remains the main security threat to Africa’s top oil producer.

The military announced a week ago that Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau may have died between late July and early August from bullet wounds he received during a gun battle weeks before.

If he did die, not only has it failed to stem the violence, but deadly attacks are actually up on a month ago.

Last Monday, suspected Islamists killed 44 people in the village of Bemba, near Lake Chad, an area of porous borders with Niger, Cameroon and Chad that was an Islamist stronghold before President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in the northeast in the middle of May.

(Reporting by Ibrahim Mshelizza; Writing by Tim Cocks; editing by David Evans)  Reuters

Nigeria – 35 killed in Boko Haram attack in Borno State

BBC
‘Boko Haram Islamists’ kill 35 in Nigeria raid

Boko Haram has been blamed for a string of recent attacks in north-eastern Nigeria
Continue reading the main story
Nigeria under attack

Dead or alive
Vigilante war
Gunning for Boko Haram
‘Cut off’ under emergency rule
Suspected Islamist militants from the Boko Haram group have killed at least 35 people in north-eastern Nigeria, local officials have said.

They say the gunmen raided the village of Demba in Borno state after locals refused to co-operate with them.

The attack happened on Monday, but details emerged only now because of the remoteness of the area.

Boko Haram, which has waged a deadly insurgency in Nigeria since 2009, has so far not commented on the incident.

‘Throats slit’
The attack on the village, near the town of Baga, took place on Monday, the officials said.

Defence spokesman Brig Gen Chris Olukolade said that 14 people had been injured in the raid, according to the AFP news agency.

An emergency worker told Reuters news agency: “They set houses ablaze, shot people and even slit some people’s throats.”

The attack happened on the same day as the Nigerian military announced that Boko Haram leader Aubabkar Shekau may have been killed by security forces during a shoot-out in north-eastern Nigeria.

An “intelligence report” showed that Shekau may have died between 25 July and 3 August, army spokesman Lt-Col Sagir Musa said.

There is no independent confirmation of Shekau’s death.

A claim in 2009 that Shekau had been killed turned out to be untrue, they add.

He became leader of Boko Haram after its founder, Muhammad Yusuf, died in police custody in the same year.

The insurgency became far more brutal under Shekau’s leadership, with Boko Haram carrying out a wave of bombings and abductions, including that of foreigners, in its campaign to create an Islamic state across Nigeria.

In May, President Goodluck Jonathan declared an emergency in three north-eastern states, saying the group threatened Nigeria’s existence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23821622

20130824-081526.jpg